Well, out of all the propositions and people Collins and I voted for, only one won. Sigh! Washington is now the second state to have assisted suicide. I really struggled to resolve my heart to voting against it (which I knew I had to do from my understanding of Mormon doctrine) until I remembered all of the patients I knew who were given 6 months to live and admitted into hospice only to be discharged because they got better. I also remember that Hitler implemented mercy killings under specific compassionate criteria which broadened in scope horrendously as he gained power. This initiative passing in WA is very scary to me because of my awareness of these tremendous flaws in humans being given this power. I ache with the suffering and devastation of terminal illness but cannot feel peaceful with this spreading policy. I am very interested to see what the next four years brings! I think I'm going to start learning Chinese! :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment